I am happy to say that I did indeed finish the HST quilt, and get it to my aunt, only a few days post surgery.
After much debating, I *did* add some borders to increase the finished size of the quilt.
IF I had it to do over, I would have made the print border much thinner. In fact, I would have started with a thin grey inner border, then a thinner print border, and then a final grey border, but oh well. Live and learn. The borders did take away from the graphic impact of the design, but, the size is better, so, all’s well that ends well enough… And, yes, I could have gone back and redone the borders, but I really did want to get this done as quickly as possible.
I got it basted (and finished streaming True Detective, which I LOVED!)
I thought I had the minkes backing stretched as taut as possible, but as you’ll see later, my quilt got a bit puffy and puckered. I quilted it very simply and moved on to binding ASAP. I changed my mind about what fabric to use for binding. The original plan had been the Amy Butler print I used for the inner border, but, after I added it as a border, it seemed like it would be overpowering. So I dug through the stash, and I had enough of the lighter blue shot cotton solid that I had added to the quilt…
The blue worked well for the front and back. I got it bound and washed as fast as possible to get it out in the mail. And after the washing, you can REALLY see how the top seemed to get puffy.
See what I mean? WAY more puckers and wrinkles than usual. Can I blame the minkee? I’ve never used it before. No, wait, I used it once on a quilt I actually tied- the only one I ever finished that way. (It’s an xmas quilt, so doesn’t get a ton of use, and I thought it would be okay- so far so good.)
Puckery on top, and now look at the back. (But, hey, the binding worked well, didn’t it?)
Puckery there as well. But it made kind of a cool design/texture. Before I try minkee as a backing again, I need to figure out what was up this time. Suggestions most welcome!
BUT. The quilt got done, And it got mailed. And even though the post office’s so-called 2 day delivery took 4, my aunt has her cuddle quilt. I’m so glad I chose the minkee, even with the problems it caused, as her first comment was how cuddly and snuggly it is. She did send me a photo of herself bundled up under it- but I didn’t hear back from her if she would mind me sharing it with you guys (if I were only a few days post surgery and in my jammies, I might not want to appear on a blog, even one without tons of readers…) so you’ll have to take my word for it that the quilt has already gone to good use.
Next up, finishing the catvent quilt. The brides were married last week, so I’m now officially late 😦 Meanwhile, linking up with TGIFF (hosted this week by the wonderful Jo), Fabric Frenzy Friday, and Finish It Up Friday.