I am SO excited.
On Sunday, while everyone else in Denver was watching some football game, I was sewing.
Thanks to the Vintage Quilt Revival blog tour, I was finally inspired to create a setting for my 2013 Sugar Block Club blocks… (and I bought a copy of the book, too…)
I bordered each block in a solid. This had two benefits- first, 3 of my paper pieced blocks came in 1/2 an inch too small, so I used the borders to plump them up to size. Second, I really feel like the borders allowed the individual blocks to shine. I wish I had had a bit more of the green and brown solids left, as I would have been very happy to have a bit less orange and a bit more green, but overall, I’m happy. The solids were all FQs, and there is very very little left.
Then, I used the prints as the setting squares. I really love how this helped me balance out the colors and prints in the individual blocks.
And I bought the most wonderful backing fabric, on clearance for $6.84 a yard, no less, from Fabric.com.
It’s a spring 2013 Kaffe, and it has all the colors of the front in it. UPS is supposed to bring it today, so maybe I can baste over the weekend and finish it up while I am still motivated. I was thinking a row of flying geese from the leftover front fabric, backed in the white, would be a nice addition to the back.
Maybe my mom will actually get her Xmas gift in time for Valentine’s Day.