I finished my August Tula blocks, halfway through September. SO glad I finished the triangle section before I got sick! Would have sucked to come back to those!
Brief sam-post-gallbladder-update for those who are interested. If you just want the quilt blocks, skip down 2 paragraphs, no hard feelings. I am finally, a month post-surgery, starting to feel like myself again. My pain level around one incision stayed pretty high for longer than expected, and the verdict was eventually that the sutures were pressing directly on a nerve. No wonder I hurt so much! One of the sutures was forcing its way out of my body- a shockingly common and, to me, truly disgusting, post surgery occurrence- and after the surgical nurse fixed it, my pain level dropped instantly. Meanwhile, I had yet another blood pressure scare, which was, after more tests, determined to be stress based.
Stress, you say? About that. Aside from the lingering pain, there’s the slight matter of the house. There was some major miscommunication with the contractors. They were all set to start repairing the insides of our home that have sustained water damage from the leaking roof. So all set that they sent movers to take apart our home. After promising that the kitchen wouldn’t be touched, they accidentally packed up the entire thing, and moved the fridge, microwave, toaster oven, table, and chairs to the living room. Awesome. The next day they informed us that they weren’t able to test our roof for leaks due to liability reasons, and if they proceeded with the repairs without the test, the repairs wouldn’t be under warranty. WTF? We had asked them to do that test 8 times, but they didn’t say nope, never, until after they ripped apart our house. Awesomer. There was so much hail in Colorado this summer that roofers are backed up for weeks, and it took hours of calls to find one who could do the test sooner than 2 weeks out. And then? We failed the test. So our house is ripped up, our roof could still leak in heavy rain, and insurance doesn’t cover the roof repair. I can’t imagine why my blood pressure is through the roof, can you??
I did finally squeeze in some sewing during all of this. First, I had to cut hundreds of white 4.5″ squares. Because at Annie’s school, 2 teachers, and one teacher’s wife, are pregnant. Because I need a deadline like I need a hole in
my head my roof, I contacted the art teacher and offered to work with her to help the kids make a quilt for each of the 3 babies. 2 are due the first week of November, one in mid-December. The kids are going to dye the squares, and I’ll piece them together. The school is tiny- 60ish kids from 6th-12th grade- and I’m looking forward to helping them with this project.
After the cutting, came the sewing. 2 episodes of OITNB later, I had four blocks, and had finally finished my August goal.
Block 67: I busted out one of my fave ever Heather Ross prints. I found an extra yard of it stashed in the guest room (when we had to move Henry in during the dry-out of his room), so that’s a positive.
Purple, grey, and pretty.
Block 68: my fave feature print and some happy green solids.
Block 69: teeny tiny pieces, and squirrels. I love the squirrels. (Top photo’s color is a better representation.)
And finally, Block 70: purple! My fave Tula Acacia print. Happiness! (Bottom photo is a better color representation.)
Next up, the squares section of the book. Squares I can handle :-)
As always, here’s my work to date:
Just in case anyone is still out there, and also made it all the way to the end, and also wants to share their own Tula progress, here’s the linkup:
Meanwhile, here’s hoping I’m back to blogging and commenting and reading more regularly. Hope you are all doing better than me and my house!
PS Now that I have some actual work to share, I’m linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday and WIP Wednesday…